WASHINGTON (AP) -- Veteran Sen. Arlen Specter says his switch to the Democratic Party was a "painful decision," but he found himself increasingly at odds with a Republican Party that has moved to the right.Speaking to reporters Tuesday, the Pennsylvania lawmaker said his philosophy was more in line with the Democratic Party. He said in the last few months he surveyed the sentiments of the GOP and found prospects for winning next year's primary looked bleak.
Specter faced a tough challenge from former GOP foe Pat Toomey.
Specter stunned Capitol Hill with word that he would switch parties. At the news conference, he told Democrats that he won't be an automatic 60th vote. He said he will follow his own approach to legislating.
Look, I'm not saying the Republican party has got it right. Neither do Democrats. No party seems to be able to put its political finger on this thing called life. (Political finger? Ew) But what I am certain of, is that when an organization supports you and your career for as long as the GOP has supported Arlen Specter... well, bad things happen when you are ungrateful. In this particular instance, and because its the disease of the week... I'm going to go with swine flu for Arlen Specter. Sorry, Senator. You made your bed, and even though it may be covered with manure... When the time comes, you are going to have to lie in it.
Why would we want political parties to put their fingers on life? Political parties provide a portion of funding to their candidates; however, if one has been in office as long as Mr. Specter, then I imagine that he has done his own fundraising for quite a while. Parties back candidates who are on the verge of taking a swing district or are in a competitive race. In the end, I think he will sleep in the same bed as Lieberman--right back in Washington, D.C.
ReplyDelete