Thursday, March 26, 2009

Free Fallin'

ATLANTA (AP) -- A new, first-of-its-kind government study finds cats and dogs are a factor in more than 86,000 serious falls each year.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports such incidents are still relatively rare, accounting for just about 1 percent of injuries from falls.
But agency officials say pet-related falls are a disproportionate hazard for senior citizens. The rate of injury is nearly twice as high for people 75 and older, and women are twice as likely as men to be injured.
Cats mainly cause injuries by tripping people, but dogs get most of the blame. They trip people, startle people, push them or pull them off balance during walks. They also run away, leading owners to fall while chasing them.
Tumbling over toys is also a problem.
The CDC advises older people to improve lighting, remove pet toys and use obedience training.

I have tripped over Gracie probably about a million times. It's because she's short. Low ground clearance. And I'm really tall. I can dunk.

No comments:

Post a Comment