Monday, March 23, 2009

Too little too late

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) -- Connecticut legislators are considering making their state the first in New England to apologize for slavery and other racist policies of old.
A legislative committee is hearing testimony on the resolution Monday.
The resolution says slavery was practiced in Connecticut from the 17th through 19th centuries. There were about 5,100 slaves in the Connecticut colony by the mid-1770s. That's about 3 percent of the population at the time.
The resolution also urges schools and organizations to acknowledge Connecticut's evolution from a colony to a leading state in the abolition movement.
New Jersey last year became the first Northern state to apologize for slavery. Five other states have done so.

Talk about too little too late. This is like calling up your ex-boyfriend from Kindergarten and telling him you're sorry you tattled on him for the time he gifted you his mother's high school class ring. It really was a sweet gesture, but c'mon we were six years old. What was I going to do with a bulky ring engraved with "Class of 1970"? So what if he tried to make up for it with a ring out of a toy dispenser at the roller rink. Do I look like a girl who wears cheap jewelry? Didn't think so. So even if I was sorry (which I'm not) I wouldn't apologize now. What would be the point? I'm not one to pour salt in a wound. Not like you, Connecticut.

No comments:

Post a Comment